Thursday, December 7, 2006

At school with Avery

Today I had the wonderful pleasure of spending the morning in my son Avery's kindergarten class. I knew that I had wanted to become more of a presence in his school life, but up until I actually visited his classroom, talked with his peers, and assisted in class projects did I know how much I really would love being there for him in that way. I new that he felt the same way when he offered me the following statement later on in the day, "Mom, you know what was the best thing that happened to me today?" "When you came to my school." Such sweet little words that mean so much. Turns out it was the favorite part of my day too.

In many ways I wish that I could go back to school and major in early childhood education. My professional life as a Children's Librarian is close, but I imagine not as rewarding as spending 9 months of the year with young children in a classroom setting. The teacher/student relationship is so strong in those early years. My experience in the classroom this morning affirmed that helping them with something as simple as rhyming and watching them learn to write words is one of the most gratifying events I have been a part of.

I should have listened to my mother, a retired first grade teacher, who tried to tell me all those years that I should be a teacher. How little we listen to our parents as we grow up - when in fact they hold the keys to our future.

No comments: