Monday, January 1, 2007

Happy New Year & My Favorite J Books of 2006

This year I resolve to read more J fiction. I tried this year, honestly. I just happened to find more interesting YA titles. In fact, I haven't read one J book that I feel very strongly about to win the Newbery Medal. I read many titles that I liked, but none that gave me that 'special' Newbery vibe. You know what I'm talking about. I'll be looking forward to the announcement on January 22nd. While we're all waiting these are my favorites of 2006 in no particular order:

Weedflower by Cynthia Kadohata
(I was sure that Kira-Kira was a Newbery winner the minute I finished it, no one in my department believed me. Ha!)

Monkey Town: the Summer of the Scopes Trial by Ronald Kidd

Shug by Jenny Han

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Probably more YA than J but I Really liked it)

The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages

And finally my award for most intriguing cover for a book that I haven't read but hope to start reading soon ....

A Drowned Maiden's Hair by Laura Amy Schlitz

No comments: